Tips & Tricks related to WhatsApp Features
1. Hiding online/offline status of Whatsapp
If you don’t want everybody to see you online or check your status, account info, use the following trick:
- For Android: Go to Menu >Settings > Account > Privacy. Change the settings of personal data visibility.
- For iOS: Go to Settings, and open the Privacy tab. Then change your settings there
2. Highlighting messages
You can make accents on what you write not only with emoticons but with bold type, italics, and strikethrough.
- If you want your message in italics, write the underscore signs on both sides of your _text_ .
- Want the message in bold type? Use the star key on both sides of the *text*.
- If you want the strikethrough type, use twiddles on both sides ofthe ~message~.
3. Create new Broadcast
In order to create a mailout, go to Chats > Menu > New broadcast. Press “+” or enter the names of receivers.
The message will be delivered to every receiver you have chosen. Plus, all the necessary contacts will get the message in the usual way. Their answers will be seen only by you and not the other contacts on the list.
4. How to understand that you are blocked
There are several signs of being blocked in some chats:
- You don’t see the time acontact was last seen online.
- You don’t see new avatar pics in the profile of a contact.
- All your messages are ticked once (the message is sent) but not twice (the message is delivered).
- You create a group chat, but you can’t add a contact (that probably means you are blocked).
However, all these signs don’t guarantee that you are 100% banned. Your contact might have changed the visibility settings.
5. Saving the storage capacity from auto downloading
WhatsApp is a caring application and automatically saves all your media sent while chatting. But very often it “eats” the memory storage of your smartphone, and you wouldn’t like to miss installing a new cool app.
The decision is quite simple: turn off the media autosave in the app settings. For Android: go to Settings > Data Usage, and choose the necessary parameters of file downloading. For iOS: Settings > Data and Storage Usage > Media.
6. How to find important messages quickly
Sometimes you search for a certain important message for hours. Don’t waste your time: choose the message, and star it (the star sign in the upper part of the screen). Now it can be quickly found in the “Starred messages” tab in the main menu.
7. How to learn that someone else reads your messages
Open the Menu, and press WhatsApp Web. If the app invites you to follow the web.whatsapp link, scan the QR code, and use WhatsApp on your PC, it’s good. It means that nobody else reads your WhatsApp from their PC using WhatsApp Web.
If you see a “Computers” tab and a list of open sessions connections), which have nothing to do with your WhatsApp activity, it’s a reason to get worried. This can signal that someone else is reading your chats and profile.
8. Reply to a group message privately
It’s possible to reply to a group message privately in your one-to-one chat, without having to find the one-to-one chat you have with that particular person.
iOS: Press and hold a message in a group chat > Select More > Reply Privately. The message will appear in your one-to-one chat with the text box below, as it does if you reply to a specific message like above.
Android: Press and hold a message in a group chat > Select the three buttons in the top right corner > Reply Privately. The message will appear in your one-to-one chat with the text box below, as it does if you reply to a specific message like above.