Guidelines for Mendeley Desktop
Step1: Add PDFs to Mendeley
Add PDFs by clicking the Add Document button on the far left of the toolbar. Alternatively, you can drag and drop PDFs into the content panel.
Step 2: Discover resources
- Mendeley Web Importer: Install the Web Importer from the ‘Tools’ menu in Mendeley Desktop and import articles directly from your browser.
- Import from system
- Use watched folder: Use a ‘watched folder’: create a folder on your own computer and tell Mendeley to watch this folder using the settings under the ‘File’ menu, or via ‘Preferences’ under ‘Mendeley Desktop’ if you’re on a Mac. Each PDF saved to that folder will be automatically imported to your Mendeley library.
- Add Entry Manually
You can add the all file details manually
2. MANAGING DOCUMENTS AND REFERENCES (Organize, Store, Retrieve)
- Read and Annotate
Documents can be marked read/unread
Keep track of your unread papers. When you add documents to Mendeley, they are marked unread by a small green dot. If you open them within the Mendeley PDF viewer
they will be marked read. Or simply click on the green dot to toggle read/unread.
Highlight interesting passages to allow you to easily pick them out later.
- Sticky notes
Add sticky notes to help record your thoughts as you’re reading. Quickly jump back to each one using the ‘Notes’ tab in Mendeley Desktop, or add document wise notes to provide at-a-glance information.
Mark your favorite documents (or documents you keep want to track of) with the star icon. Simply click to star, and click again to un-star. All favorite documents will appear in the Favorites Folder, so you can refer back to them with one click.
- Search as you type
Smart search in documents highlights the search term as you type, so you can find what
you’re looking for quickly. Just type into the search bar and watch Mendeley find matching terms in the document.
- Annotate PDFs
You can add highlights and notes to documents within Mendeley Desktop.
1. Open a PDF in Mendeley’s PDF viewer by double clicking on it in the central pane,
2. Add highlights and notes by clicking on the Highlight Text or Add Note buttons on the menu.
Retrieve your research anywhere by accessing your Web Library in an internet browser
3. CITING REFERENCES
Install the Mendeley Citation Plugin found under the ‘Tools’ menu in Mendeley Desktop.
Once installed, the plugin is usually visible in the ‘References’ tab of the MS Word menu bar. Now we can easily add citation by clicking ‘Insert citations’ and then ‘Go to Mendeley’.
It redirects you to the Mendeley Desktop, then choose the references which you have to cite, click ‘Cite’. Insert bibliography at the end of your paper or chapter.
4. SHARING DOCUMENTS AND REFERENCES
To Create a Group
Groups are a simple way for you to collaborate with your colleagues and share a collection of documents. Any member of a group may upload documents to it. You can create a group by clicking on “Create Group” in the left hand pane. Once you have clicked “Create Group”, a dialog asking you to enter details of your group will appear.